Friday, November 9, 2007

Wicket 1.3, Maven 2.0.7 & IDEA 7

I just upgraded to IDEA 7 and am trying to pitch Wicket 1.3 for a new project. Along the way I think I'll post stuff here.

I've been interested in Wicket for a while but have never got to use it for anything beyond working through examples. Even those were a while ago so I'm kind of starting from scratch except that the basic concepts are lurking in my noggin someplace or other.

I've used IDEA for years now. I bought it to get out of having to use JBuilder originally. No doubt JBuilder got better since then but I shelled out $500 for IDEA 3.5 and never regretted it -- except when the whole team switched and got it payed by our employer, oh well. Now I'm gladd JetBrains lowered the single user license to $250. I've got in the habit of buying every-other major release. Anyway, it seems like a reasonable price for a tool that makes my work so much, well, better. ... I've tried eclipse and netbeans but always end up back in IDEA.

I've used Maven for a sub-project at work. I found it very handy, until I had to integrate with the rest of the project. It's not Maven's fault, but I eventually changed the sub-project to ANT, which is what the rest of the project used. All the bells and whistles of Maven just didn't fit in with the project as a whole so over time I used them less and less. By the time I changed to ANT it was a pretty minor effort, so ultimately I don't think I really lost t much time if any by trying out maven.

There was one issue I had with maven though. At some point I needed to do a build that used a different file in different contexts. In ANT I just told it to copy X if blah, otherwise copy Y. But in maven it got really ugly with profiles and stuff I don't even remember very whell anymore. I never got a good solution in maven for this. Maybe I just didn't understand the tool well enough. But I had to change to ANT anyway so I just did that.

Enough background.

M first impression is that I love using the maven archtype for the wicket 1.3 quickstart, and then being able to just open the pom.xml in IDEA 7. How sweet is that!?

But I am having trouble with running the quickstart with mvn jetty:run . It runs fine but changes to the code don't automatically get deployed. I hope I'm doing something wrong.

--- added later ---
Ha! I'd forgot how to use the jetty plugin in maven. All I needed was to configure scanIntervalSeconds like so...

<plugin>
<groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-jetty-plugin</artifactId>
<configuration>
<scanIntervalSeconds>10</scanIntervalSeconds>
</configuration>
</plugin>


Well. At least I'm having fun.

No comments: